How it Works
WOMEN HELPING WOMEN MAKES WISHES COME TRUE
Members of the Fairy Godmothers and generous individual and corporate donors contribute to the funds. Grant monies come from earnings available each year from the Endowed Fund, from a portion of funds raised at fundraising events and from gifts directed to the Grants Fund.
Grant applications are processed only through the following assistance agencies. Those seeking assistance should apply with these Manhattan, KS, agencies and not to Fairy Godmothers since the funds are paid directly to the providers of requested services and needs.
- North Central Flint Hills Area Agency on Aging (776-9294)
- Homecare and Hospice (537-0688)
- Salvation Army (539-9399)
- Boys and Girls Club (539-1947)
- Flint Hills Community Clinic (323-4351)
- Manhattan Emergency Shelter, Inc. (537-3113)
- Shepherd's Crossing (776-1470)
- CASA (537-6867)
GRANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
- Women 18 years of age and older are eligible to apply.
- Consideration is given only to women in Manhattan and Riley County, Kansas.
- Grant applicants may remain anonymous.
- Funds are paid directly to providers of requested services and needs.
- Money is available throughout the year.
- Funds cover immediate needs not addressed by other social service agencies in the Manhattan area. Ineligible requests include food, lodging and utilities, and assistance with legal penalties such as a speeding ticket or a DUI.
- Recipients are eligible for assistance once per 12-month period.
- The maximum amount of a grant is $800.
- Women must apply for grants through one of the listed community agencies.
- Applications are approved by the Fairy Godmothers Grants Committee and the GMCF Executive Board. If approved, funds are typically available within 72 hours after a complete application is submitted.
- Recipients are asked to help someone else in the future through a pay-it-forward principle.
The Fairy Godmothers and GMCF do not share contact information about members, donors, grant applicants or grant recipients.